2.24.2011

one hand in the air for the big city.

i'm pulling a john kerry. oh yeah, reach way back for that one. i'm flip-flopping.

I'M A FLIP FLOPPER GOSHDARNIT. 

austin, i love you. i really do. for all of these reasons and more. but since i decided to quit my job, sell all my stuff and move across the country to camp out in my mom's house and figure out my life, i've had anxiety out the wazoo. sure i mean, those are all pretty anxiety-inducing decisions. even one on its own would be difficult. but being the overacheiver that i am, i went for all three at once. and i've spent the last few weeks talking myself into it. 

and i can't do it. i can't leave.

new york, you are my heart and soul. you are the love of my life. why would i move to create a new life when i have a pretty freaking awesome one right now? there's no need to search for what i already have. 

and here's the kicker. 

this whole thing got started when i got my lease renewal in the mail, and saw my rent increasing $400. yes, my rent-stabilized studio. instead of calling the building manager, i instead decided to make a move that i knew was coming eventually, even though in my heart of hearts, i knew i wasn't ready for it. and after weeks of soul-searching, i decided to stay. which led to another agonizing internal debate. stay in an overpriced room (that i do adore), or pack up and move a few blocks away for a more reasonable monthly chunk out of my paycheck. and again, i decided to stay. 

no really, the kicker is coming now. wait for it.

today, i called the building manager to ask a few questions about the lease, and at least try to negotiate the rent down. well, turns out it was a typo. 

a typo. 

my rent isn't increasing $400. it's increasing $40. 

i almost gave up my entire life because. of. a. typo. 

so here we are, back where i started a few weeks ago. i'm staying in my adorable apartment in my fantastic city. and i am so happy, i can't wipe this silly grin off my face. 

it's a concrete jungle where dreams are made of. and it's mine. for at least another year.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...this is the same spot I was in a couple of weeks ago. Preparing for change, not REALLY wanting it, scared and then things start to work out for the best...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Holy crap. This goes down with the person who filed T's taxes using his social security number last year (typo or identity theft? we still don't know), meaning we have STILL not received our 2009 $5,000 refund.

    Okay, back to business. You are staying in New York. Oh my goodness! This is huge. How are you keeping up with your own drama?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MCW - crazy how stuff like this turns out, right? glad to hear that you're in a better place too!

    maggie - omg, i totally remember that story about your tax refund. so bizarre! and it is exceedingly difficult to stay on top of meghan's dramarama fest, so really, all i have to say is good luck and godspeed if you follow along :)

    ReplyDelete